Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Confession...

:: Deep Breath ::

Ok readers. Here it is. The confession:

We have not told Rob's parents yet. Nothing. Zip, zlich, zero, nada. I am now 17 weeks pregnant and they have no idea. They had no idea we were trying, no idea we had trouble, not idea that all it took was me, a vial of Rob's sperm, some stirrups, a doctor and a nurse in a sterile doctor's office room in order to get knocked up. They know nothing.

Why? WHY? You ask?

Well, this may just go down as THE WORST IDEA EVER from my husband.

Before we got pregnant we had scheduled our annual trek out to Connecticut for 10 days in August. Then it actually happened, we amazingly got pregnant! So within that first week of new pregnant-ness I asked Rob, "So how/when do you want to tell your parents?" Imagine my shock when he thought it was just about the BEST.IDEA.EVER to wait until we go out there to tell them in person...when I would be, oh, only a mere 22 weeks along. I tried to talk him out of it, I swear I did, I begged, I pleaded, I resorted to violence and punched him repeatedly in the arm, all to no avail. He is the most easy-going guy ever, except for when he has set his mind on something, and then that is IT. Stubborn as an ass. He wants to tell them in person and not over the phone and nothing will change that.

Picture this: The In-laws waiting for us at the gate at JFK. Plane lands. Rob walks out first, me hiding behind him in absolute panic.

In-laws: "Oh, Rob, Bev you're here! It is so wonderful to see you!!!":: they finally get a glimpse of me:: "What the... are you?? WHAT THE HELL?!?! " ...Chaos ensues.

I keep rationalizing it to myself that brother-in-law just recently returned from 2 years in Iraq, sister-in-law just had her third baby last week so they've had plenty of excitement this summer. This is what I keep saying to myself to justify this crazy, insane idea. Please note, I don't speak to in-laws often and I would never go behind Rob's back to tell them, as several people have suggested. So he gets his way, his family, his decision.

So that is it. That is my juicy confession. Juicy enough for you? Don't blame me, dear readers, I tried and tried to talk him out of it. I am simply along for the ride. I am totally wearing a shirt that says, "This was HIS idea" with an arrow pointing to Rob. Although I hope they would know I mean the surprise and NOT the baby! I might have to re-think that wording. Do you think that "Your son is crazy and refused to let me tell you until we walked off of this plane" would be too long for a T-shirt? Probably.

They will be thrilled...when the inital shock wears off. And honestly, you have to know my in-laws. They won't be angry, really they won't, I know them. They will just be completely shocked beyond belief at first, I mean look at how big I am now (just wait until I upload my latest pics)! They are a different breed of people, I can't quite explain it, but just trust me on this one.

...And, you have to admit, what in the world will ever top this surprise???

“They can call me crazy if I fail, all the chance that I need, is one-in-a-million and they can call me brilliant if I succeed.”
-Ani Difranco

21 comments:

Fun4r2 said...

I just wanted to thank you for your blog...I forget how I came across it, but I did and it helps me to think positively about our situation. Thanks again and I wish you and your new family the best!

Amy said...

Definately a good surprise! He is crazy. :)

Anonymous said...

We waited to tell our entire family in person when I was 18 weeks. Our families live in a different state, so we made a surprise trip home and told them the news. It was so much fun seeing everyone's faces when they opened the door and saw us standing there. So as crazy as the idea sounds, it is actually quite fun! I will never forget it.

Erika said...

It's funny what things husbands put there wifes thru.....LOL

I would be mortified as well.

Oh Well, just go with the flow I guess....:)

Wifezzilla said...

Crazy, but a great surprise.Just think of how fun it will be to SEE their expressions when you tell them - er, when they see for themselves!

Anonymous said...

we waited to tell our families in person too; i was 3 months along. yes it is crazy but i will never forget the looks on everyones faces. plus it was a great christmas present!

Harmony said...

my husband would DEFINATELY do the same thing! that's husbands for ya!

good luck getting off the plane! that shirt isn't a bad idea :0)

they will be totally surprised and excited!

Melymel80 said...

What a great surprise...how insane! I would fel so weird too. But men are men. Just let him do this, and blame him later. We are in CT too!

Mere said...

That's ok .... we haven't told ANYONE besides immediate families yet, and I am 17 weeks!

S said...

This post made me giggle out loud!! Well....look at it this way....it won't be forgotten how you announced your pregnancy to them!! It almost sounds a little fun. Maybe if the slogan won't fit on the t-shirt you could get a small banner. Just the thought of this has me giggling again!!!

Miss Amelia Jane. said...

Adorable story. Yet another for the baby book! Since I'm sensing a "t-shirt" theme...I was thinking.."The future (Ms./Mr.)" with your last name. Or, "Meet (Lucy/Patrick)" across the belly. Sure to make the in-laws, and fellow patrons at the airport, giggle! :)

Anonymous said...

WOW! That is crazy!!!! I am anxious to know how this pans out!!

Anonymous said...

There was a 7th Heaven episode like this. The eldest son's wife was like 7 months with twins. It went over well but it was also tv. It will make a great story for Lucy or Patrick one day :)

Anonymous said...

Crazy, Yes! Exciting, Fun & Priceless way of sharing your news, Yes!!! They'll never forget, and you'll never hear "Ah, it seems like you've been pregnant forever!" :)

Anonymous said...

I insist you post while on your trip. Seriously. I started cracking up while reading this - my husband thought I'd lost it.

I'm not sure the prior commentors realized the full import of the situation here. His parents know NOTHING of the situation. Not only do they not know you are pregnant - they don't know HOW you got pregnant. They don't know you had trouble getting pregnant. They don't know you were trying for 2 long years. They don't know you were trying PERIOD. They don't know you were THINKING about trying.

Seriously, you'll be lucky if you don't give these people heart attacks.

Can you video tape it for us? Please? I need to see the reaction because it's going to be monumentally hysterical. And I can't wait to read about it.

You poor thing. LOL!

Anonymous said...

ack! Does he know at this point that he wont be able to tell his parents and they will just see if for themselves? Is that really what his goal was? I am guessing it wasn't.

But I do think that no matter what it will be a fun surprise and you can blame it all on the DH the rest of the trip!

JackiJaguar said...

I can't wait to read the post about you guys telling his parents. Crossing my fingers that you manage to find time to blog immediately after telling the in-laws because I think this story's going to be a riot! :)

Ronnica said...

At least they won't have as long to wait! Just hope they weren't planning to finally take the big trip to Europe they've been talking about for years when you are due!

Mrs. Case said...

Um, am I the only one who thinks it is the coolest surprise and a great idea? The chances in life are few and far between and I'd do the exact same thing as your husband (with his family, not MINE of course, LOL).

Mrs. Nelson said...

I was just browsing and I came across you're blog. I noticed your DD, mine was suppose to be Dec 31.

Sarah said...

I cannot wait to hear what happens! This is totally something my boyfriend would think of! hope it works outokay!

Related Posts with Thumbnails