Thursday, December 24, 2009

"All I Want For Christmas Is...

...my two front teeth," says Lucy. Although, to be fair, I'm sure she doesn't actually want these teeth. Last week I couldn't figure out why she was so fussy at night and then, whilst she was laying on the bed screaming her tiny head off I say them. Her two top front teeth popping through. Poor thing get her bottom two and then 4 months later the top two show up.

She must have her daddy's big teeth because let me tell you, these ones are doozies. They are BIG. I feel so bad for her because she is obviously really uncomfortable. Hyland's Teething Tablets help somewhat, but the gel form of Hylands really seems to do the trick with these latest teeth. Last week I did break down and gave her a little Baby Motrin on the doctor's "ok" at night because she just couldn't sleep. She took that Baby Motrin and was out like a light, so although I was hesitant it at least made her comfortable enough to get some sleep. I'll only use it when absolutely necessary though, like last night when she was running a fever, and will stick to the Hylands otherwise.

So, Lucy is getting her two front teeth for Christmas. Along with some other less important stuff too. We didn't go nuts with buying her presents because honestly, she's just a baby. She has a ton of toys and is always more interested in things like the empty tissue box or cereal container, which are currently her two favorite toys. What can I say, the girl is easy to please and apparently doesn't have expensive taste. So she is getting mainly stocking stuffer type things for Christmas-- a couple sippy cups (with straws which she is currently obsessed with), some spoons, several books and for her "big" gift:

The Lamaze Octotunes Toy
Oh man, this thing is so cute and each of its legs plays a different tone so you can actually "play" music on it. On the tag it even shows you how to play Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. I love it! I might enjoy it more than Lucy as I'm anticipating she is going to go nuts about the boxes and wrapping paper and will completely ignore the toy.

Instead of buying Lucy a ton of toys this Christmas that she won't really care about either way, we decided to purchase extra gifts for my work's Giving Tree for the downtown Portland Women and Children's shelter. It made me feel really good that we were buying presents for children in need, children that weren't going to whine over not getting the latest electronic toy or a flat screen TV. You should have seen some of the Letters to Santa from our company Christmas Party, "Dear Santa, I don't believe in you anymore because you didn't bring me my Blu-Ray Player and Flat Screen last year that I asked for." Ugh. How sad, right?

For the Giving Tree one little 13 year old girl just wanted a purple umbrella, that was it. When I found the perfect, metallic purple umbrella for her I almost teared up because I knew she would truly love it. I could just imagine this little girl opening up the umbrella, the one thing she wanted for Christmas and being so thrilled and then that other child opening up his or her mountain of expensive gifts and being dissatisfied. It really made me feel good spending our extra money on the Giving Tree this Christmas and not starting Lucy out on a tradition of spending tons and tons of money just for the hell of it. I think one or two carefully selected gifts are so much more meaningful than a mountain of expensive stuff.

I'm excited for tomorrow. I love Christmas and we've really scaled back this year. We didn't buy a lot of gifts for each other but are just planning on spending the day at home (for the first time!) and will be doing the following: enjoying some amazingly good food prepared by Rob, listening to the last 24 hours of Christmas music on the radio, reading the Christmas Story to Lucy and then vegging out on the couch watching out favorite Christmas movies when Lucy goes down for her nap. How perfect, right?

What are your plans for tomorrow dear readers? Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas!

"He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree. "
-Roy L. Smith

6 comments:

Suzanne Incognito said...

I know that feeling exactly - when you mentioned holding the purple umbrella. I get a lump in my throat and a heavy feeling in my chest. A very religious friend of mine told me once that those feelings are God speaking to you. Now, I'm not a "religious" person by any means...more spiritual (if I have to categorize myself)...But I like the idea of God speaking through people with that feeling. I think it's a nice thought.

goodheartedmommy said...

Thanks for this post, Bev! I agree with you 100% about giving. It's so important to our family. Ethan (who is almost 4) told me this year that he wanted these 2 certain racecars from Santa, but that he has enough toys, and to tell Santa to take the toys to other kids, whose moms and dads don't have money to buy them gifts. I was in tears, and felt so good that my not-quite-4 year old "gets" it--more than most adults. Raising a grateful, selfless child, is the most wonderful thing.

Hope you had a great Christmas, and enjoy your time off with Lucy!

Meg said...

You are such a great mom and such a great person. What a good idea to spend the extra money on someone truly in need. You are a great example. I want to do that next year. There is something really magnificent in a person willing to help another they will never meet. Merry Christmas, Bev. Got your card today. thank you! Your family is so darling.

Shandal said...

My 9 month old daughter just had her top front tooth come through in the last couple days... I hear ya having a not so happy little baby. :( The one right next to it is going to come through very soon too. I foresee another cranky week ahead for us.

Wiz said...

I hear ya on not spoiling a child. Especially a ten month old. Since my baby's birthday is so close to xmas and we want to have a big party for him, we are going to ask that in lieu of gifts, guests bring a donation to a local charity. My son is happy with a post it note. We don't need anything else and want to give back!

Windy City Kelley's said...

Poor thing, I've got rather large teeth too so I feel her pain. Hopefully they come in soon so she's back to being a happy baby!

Related Posts with Thumbnails