Sunday, September 6, 2009

Breastfeeding Attire FIND...

I'm a huge proponent of breastfeeding. You don't breastfeed? Totally fine. You make the decisions that work best for you. I won't judge, besides, it's a very personal decisions and personally, I passionately believe that this is the best food and nutrition I can provide for Lucy, the cheapest food around AND is the sole reason I am 10 lbs smaller than I was pre-pregnancy, which I might add, is just in time for my 10 year high school reunion next week...with absolutely no working out required. It really doesn't get any better than that, does it?

However, there are some hassles that come with breastfeeding. I've shared my oversupply stories here before and more recently have been battling an under-supply. So I've been guzzling Mother's Milk Tea (yuck!) and taking Nursing Blend supplements...which then can lead to a very painful blocked duct, which is another reoccurring problem of mine. So... aside from all of those obstacles to overcome, I really do enjoy breastfeeding and that time I spend with Lucy. However, I do find it extremely challenging to fine cute clothing that work for breastfeeding. By "work" I mean they don't involved me hiking up my top until it is all bunched up under my chin or wrestling a boob out over the top of a shirt, which always seems like a good idea at first until I'm done nursing and there is a huge wet spot on my shirt. Boo! Not to mention I'm REALLY TIRED of button down shirts.

So, to get to the point, I love hooded sweatshirts. They're super comfortable and for someone who has curly hair to like to straighten it and lives in rainy Oregon, they're perfect to salvaging a much-labored over hairstyle. However, you cannot comfortably wear a hooded sweatshirt and nurse a baby without ending up with a spare tire-esque bulk of sweatshirt material under your chin. This was a huge bummer to me until I found this sweatshirt at Target the other day:




So cute! AND it's a cowl neck, (Note: the cowl actually goes down much lower than on the model in the picture, maybe because the one I bought is a larger size), so it is PERFECT for nursing. I wear it with a stretchy Limited tank top underneath, which has super stretchy straps that don't stretch out permanently, and I didn't need to pull the sweatshirt up or anything. I simply pulled the cowl aside and voila, easy nursing with no bunching or stretching OR buttons! Not to mention it is really flattering for the fall with cute jeans and heeled boots. I bought the Java Brown but will most likely be returning for the purple and blue as well. They are a great deal at only $19.99. I bought mine at my local Target but you can buy them online here.


"I base most of my fashion sense on what doesn't itch."
-Gilda Radner

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

super cute! i love hooded tops. i might get one myself, and i'm not even breastfeeding. thank you for the great recommendation.

Anonymous said...

Good tip. The mother's milk tea is horrific. BLECH.

Have you made the lactation cookies? They're actually quite good. Just don't eat too many at once. They can be a bit gass-ifying.

Jennifer said...

I too had oversupply/blocked ducts...my milk started to drop at about 10 months...a few weeks later my period came back. yup. the same milk-dip happened to my friend, and she was in denial for a few weeks until she got her period as well. Not saying this is going to happen to you, it was just something interesting that could be an outside possibility. I know what you mean about the tops though! Sounds like a great find.

The Mama said...

Great find, mama! :-) Always looking for cute clothes because since I'm nursing twins.... All.I.do.is.nurse. :-) It's a good thing that I enjoy it!

Lea Liz said...

Love it! I may be heading to target to get some.. I know all about the nrusings tops girl!!

JackiJaguar said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I will definitely make a trip to Target tomorrow to check them out. I hear you on the lack of nice breastfeeding clothes. Where do you buy the mother's milk tea and supplements? I'm thinking of getting some but don't even know where to look.

goodheartedmommy said...

The weleda brand fenugreek tea, while not delicious, is much better than mother's milk tea. I got it at whole foods...you may want to try it!

Anonymous said...

when will they ever start making "nursing clothes" with concealed zippers! My mom had some 20 years ago but she said they are few and far between.

lia said...

ooh, I want one! They are junior sizes though, how big do you think I should order to be equivalent to a women's M?

Stephanie said...

A little slow posting this, but I just returned to work. My daughter is 3 months old, and pumping is not working out so great. Apparently, my baby eats a lot more than I pump out. Did your Mother's Milk Tea or whatever you tried actually work in building up your supply? I really don't want to supplement with formula. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails