Friday, January 1, 2010

Eat.Pray.Love...

Every year I make resolutions. Every year I break them within, oh, I'd say the first or second week of January. Maybe, by writing them down, I will stick to them this time. They're pretty lofty resolutions although more general than the usual "I'd like to lose 5 lbs" or "I won't complain about my job anymore". Been there, done that, broke those. In order to streamline my resolutions for this year I stole the name of a book that I've been meaning to read, but have never gotten around to doing so. The title works perfectly for my resolutions:

Eat. Pray. Love
  • Eat - Change up our diet. Now this isn't a diet to lose weight (although I'm hoping that will be an added bonus). This is a diet for the health of my family. We're talking little to none processed foods (that means cutting out high fructose corn syrup, added dyes, and many of the ingredients I cannot pronounce let alone type out), more organic, more fresh foods, more raw foods, more home grown, home baked, homemade. More family meals, no more eating in front of the TV. More variety, less of the same old thing (on my part at least, Rob, well, he's a chef, he can whip up something different in a matter of minutes and have it turn out amazing, me I have a rotation of about 8 actual dinner dishes and about 80 cookbooks). I'm even going to attempt to try something new out of said cookbooks every week (or so, remember, I said these were lofty).
  • Pray - I want us to go to church. I want to feel like there is something more and although organized religion and I have not always seen eye to eye, church does this for me. It inspires me to think beyond myself and my own little world. It makes me feel that there is someone out there watching over me and my family. Now, there are things I don't agree with. I'm more liberal than any church I've ever been to. There have been times I want to get up and walk out of a sermon. But, all in all, I know there is something more out there and I want to take time this year to explore it more myself. It's a loft goal but I'd like the read the Bible myself this year. And yes, I actually have one. I've always let someone else tell me what it says. I'd like to know for myself.
  • Love - Now this is the most important one. I'll love my life more. This may sound strange, but I have the baby I waited so long for, a wonderful husband and fabulous family and friends, but sometimes I get too focused on the things that I don't love about my life. These things drag me down when really I should focus on the things that lift me up. Yes, there are things I'd like to change, and I have faith that those things will happen for us someday. I know they will. But until then, I need to live more for now. I'll work hard but play harder. I will enjoy now. I Will Love Now.
There they are. My simple, yet ambitious, resolutions. I'm going to try hard to keep them up.

What about you?

"We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives... not looking for flaws, but for potential."
-Ellen Goodman

ps. This time last year we were heading to the hospital for me to have Miss. Lucy. How fast the year flies by! Birthday post for my darling girl tomorrow!!!

14 comments:

soxchamps said...

We've been doing more homemade this year. I will say that it does make it harder when we need to whip up something quick, I need to get on to making ahead to freeze some things. But the more you make the easier it becomes and the more daring you will be to try more. And with the internet it is so easy to find recipes and advice.

Anonymous said...

Have you tried the Unitarian Universalists? They're about as liberal as you can get.

http://www.uua.org/

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful resolutions. I'm taking yours as inspiration for my own!

I especially like the Love part. Why let things get you down when you can't change them anyway? That sums up 90% of things I stress about.

Happy New Year to you and yours! May 2010 be filled with happiness and blessings for your family.

LeAnna said...

We're cutting out a lot of processed sugar in our diets, too! It's amazing how much better you feel not eating that junk... Also wanted to encourage you in your #2 goal. I grew up in Church my entire life, and even still I am just now learning that the only way I'm going to truly draw closer to God is if I get in His Word and read it for myself. There are so many churches with pastors who aren't truthfully teaching what God's word says, but no one goes home and looks it up for themselves, and they never know the difference. It's sad, but it's simple. Don't make it a task, or a chore, but when you do sit down to read it, pray before you do. If you're seeking the Truth, God will show it to you. I promise. Just open it up and read. (I recommend starting in Romans.) Read and ask God to reveal Himself to you. He said His word is alive (Hebrews 4:12) and it is. It really is. So, all of that to say, be encouraged! If anything at all, be encouraged. Blessings!

FSD said...

Great resolutions, all of them! I, too, want to take on a healthier life style this year. My daughter will soon be one, so I know she'll soon become increasingly aware of what mommy eats. I want to set a good example, and, like you, I hope weight loss naturally flows from that because this momma needs to lose some weight! I'm an organized religion type of girl, but within the context of that I know I need to grow, read my Bible (more), and pray more than when my head hits the pillow. Your resolution of loving where your life is now is an excellent one. I need to do the same because I'm guilty of living in the past and future but very rarely in the now.

My resolutions: lead a healthier lifestyle, pray more, do some personal bible studies, begin exercising (always a struggle for me), get involved in a non-profit this year where I can bring my daughter along, spend less time on the internet (getting out of hand!) and become more of a homemaker (when work and life allow). Whew!

Happy New Year. Enjoy every minute of it one minute at a time.

Queenie. . . said...

What a difference a year makes! This time last year, I was enviously reading your blog, waiting for updates about Lucy's arrival, and wondering when/if it would happen for us. This year, I am on the verge of delivering my own daughter, and looking ahead to what it will be like next Christmas when she'll be Lucy's age!

Lexie said...

Awesome resolutions!! I too have very similar resolutions.

This year I am using youversion to keep me in the Word. You can look it up on the Internet...and also there is iPhone app!

I pray that in reading the word this year you are able to grow and discover the love that our heavenly father has for YOU, Bev! It will truely take your breath away! What infinant love... And I pray that you will be surrounded by other Christians who will look past your differences and love you in a way that shows you just how much our Lord loves you.

Blessings to your sweet {and beautiful!!} family this year!!

Shelly said...

Great resolutions, good luck! Ours is 1 now too, doesn't time fly?

Anonymous said...

I was going to suggest a UU church. If you're in an urban area, you may also be able to find a liberal United Methodist Church or even an Episcopal Church. You might also try United Church of Christ although I'd take care to avoid just plain old Church of Christ. That's a whole other kettle of fish.

I have degrees in religion and a fascination with christian denominations so if you feel like chatting about it, feel free to email! ammasyncletica@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Bev,

You don't know me but I've been following your blog for some time now. Lucy is so adorable!! Your pictures from Christmas Day are great. She really is a doll.

Thank you for sharing your resolutions with us -- they are great! I especially wanted to comment on #2 -- I am a Christian and think the most important thing we can have in this world is a relationship with God. So, I just wanted to say good for you that you want to find that! :) I will pray for you that you find a good church home and a closer relationship with Him.

Best wishes to you and your beautiful family in 2010!
Katie in NE

LutherLiz said...

keep looking for a church. There are liberal ones out there, and there are also extremely left leaning churches in more traditional demoninations as well. Find a pastor you like who cares for one or two of the biggest causes you want the church to side with and go from there.

runningtwig said...

I've been a lurker on your blog for a few months and this post really caught my eye because it basically sums up my NY resolutions too. Good luck with them all!

Stacey said...

And if you never feel comfortable in a church, be comfortable with what suits you. Stay true to yourself and never fall for what others say you "should" be doing, feeling, or believing.

Leah said...

Hey Bev,
Your resolution keeps popping into my mind. If you are serious about wanting to read the Bible, which it seems you are, I wanted to offer some encouragement. The Bible is full of some pretty hefty stuff and some translations make it even more difficult to understand. As an MDiv I have had to read many of them and have experienced some of the horror! Most people just have a King James Version lying around and in my opinion that is one of the least readable. There are many different translations available - New International Version is one of the most popular - and I would recommend the New Living Translation for someone who has not read the Bible much before. I am currently reading the gospels in that translation. There is also "The Message" which is a paraphrase, not a translation. It is very modern language and easy to read, but it also has been interpreted by the paraphraser a bit. When I decided to read through the Bible cover to cover that's the book I chose and I loved it.

Anyway, take or leave my advice, I just want to help!

Related Posts with Thumbnails